A Design Sprint, commonly called a"hackathon", is an exciting, experiential experience which uses the process of design-thinking to accelerate idea thinking and vetting potential options to solve a specific challenge.
Our mini-hackathons are fun, fast-paced, hands-on events where our design thinking experts rapidly lead your team through the first 3 of the six steps of the Design Sprint process (Empathize, Define, & Ideating). Mini-hackathons give just an introductory taste of the power of design-thinking, where the focus is not to create a finished end result, but to speed up learning by rapidly creating and testing ideas.
- How to break down a complex problem into a manageable target of focus.
- The benefits of having a diverse, cross-functional group tackling a challenge.
- The power of learning through quick-and-dirty idea thinking versus months of product/service/project development.
- The need for collaboration, open-mindedness, divergent thinking and empathy for the end-user.
Karan Ferrell-Rhodes is the founder of Shockingly Different Leadership, a global human capital professional services firm that is changing the way HR functions scale up their teams during peak periods of work!
SDL's team of over 75 consultants partner with business executives and senior leaders of Learning & Development, Human Resources, and Organizational Development teams to execute business- critical, talent-related initiatives on an on-demand, project, or contract basis. The firm helps organizations solve the problem of quickly locating trusted expertise to help them get their urgent "people projects" done.
Karan founded SDL around the core belief that HR, Talent, and Learning functions deserve to have the right resources to do their best work. As such, the firm's differentiating value is being its clients’ favorite ally to provide strategic advice & expert resources to help them become future-ready, today.
Immediately before following her desire to share her consulting gifts on a more global scale, Karan held numerous executive positions during her 14-year tenure at the Microsoft Corporation, including leading the human capital strategy for 6 Corporate Vice Presidents and leading the Microsoft Global High Potential Leadership Development Programs.
Karan has a deep passion for optimizing organizational workforces and loves unleashing the magic which occurs when gifted professionals are able to create and implement innovative ideas that showcase their acumen in a manner that:
- delivers greater value to their organization,
- creates a cadre of raving fans,
- impacts bottom line metrics, and
- demonstrates their level of readiness for roles of larger scope and responsibility.
Her book, Lead at the Top of Your Game, is scheduled to be released June 2020.